Thursday, July 17, 2008

Been a while....

Ok so i've kind of neglected this blog for a few months now.... but i have a good reason.

Yea... WoW isn't a great reason, but it is a reason in my opinion. Anyway now i once again kicked the habit simply cause i think i really have clocked the game (or it feels like it to me, despite what other people say). Anyway, i won't have time this semester for diddling around in raids for 4 or 5 hours at a time. And i think it is definately time to move on.

So in the interest of moving on, i would like to discuss what this semester means for me. Hard work is a good place to start. Last semester i felt i worked very hard on the projects i was assigned to. That said, i didn't make much of an effort to have a meaniningful group relationship, and just plowed through the work by myself (leaving my groupmates in the dust at times, confused and bewildered). This is how i'm used to working.... i almost feel constrained when i have to keep other people up to speed on what i'm doing and why i'm doing every little thing. This worked fine last semester, when the work was manageable that i could complete it myself without too much hassle and my teammates made a reasonable effort to keep up to speed. This semester my teammates are even more competent, but the project work has become more complicated by several orders of magnitude.

For my software project we have been tasked with developing an interactive webapp, in the course of 6 months of uni. The plus to this is that this paper has no lectures, no tutorials, no exam. The downside is that we have to create a fully functional webapp in 6 months, when no one in out group has experience in building webapps (apart from my own minor experience) or working with a SQL server backend. Most of us are lacking in even basic experience with C# (which we want to use) because the university courses we did were taught in Java. This brings me to another point about this project; we are the only group of 3 in the paper doing this project in .NET. This means our tools will be a bit better (despite being proprietry), but we won't have access to as many resources (our lecturers don't have much experience with .NET.

Anyway this project alone should keep me very busy writing AJAX code to interface the backend with the frontend. I was chosen for this task simply becausei'm the only one with any Javascript experience, which i have no problems with since it makes my job easier, butit'll be ice to try out C# at some stage on something that isn't mission-critical.

So i'll try update here when i can about how the project is going. If the time strikes me.

Keep Thinking.

No comments: